So, after having browsed through stacks of crafts books (on my shelves, of course...), done some small stuff this afternoon, and ordered heaps of new things, I was overcome with creative energy. So I finally sat down and made a new shade for one of my lamps. I'd bought the material ages ago, but never had the urge to actually get started.
This evening, I did. Half the work wasn't hard - I could sew the seam with my (new) sewing machine. But actually attatching the fabric to the metal frame (a ring at the top and one at the bottom) could only be done by hand. The fabric is *so* thick, that for the first time I ended up using a thimble. I think I have more holes in my fingers than are in the fabric. ^^;
And I'm not used to doing hand crafting anymore. So now my fingers hurt... >.<
But I'm quite pleased with the way it came out.
The first lamp is the way it looked originally - I still have three with the old paper shades. Or rather, two still have shades, one is totally bare, because the paper was *totally* shredded. I haven't gotten around to that one yet. The lamp that I re-did today was one where the shade was torn in half, but not completely shredded yet. But I just couldn't stand the sight anymore. >.<
When my fingers have recovered, I might get around to doing the other three shades, too. :)